First Time in USA on H1b L1 Visa- Things to do during first few weeks.
Open Bank Account
If you are traveling for first time ,then you need to open a bank account in US,bank with these
- Bank of America
- Capital one
Give address as in your passport for the first time and as soon as you receive any government mails to your mailing address in US,you can use your mailing address as Credit card/debit card address
banks need to see your passport only as the proof and would let you open your checking account (without minimum balance), if it is a direct deposit.
Ask for the routing number and the code for wire transfer
Have atleast 500$ cash in hand,including small denominations to meet day to day expenses,you can use the checks for buying.
as the banks take atleast 5 to 7 business days to send the debit card to your mailing address
Apply for SSN
- Apply for SSN atleast after 12 days from the date you land,go to nearest SSA office,show your passport/deputation letter and fill a simple form.The SSN is essential for any important work,taking lease, and more .
- You will receive the SSN in 5 to 7 days at your mailing address and don’t throw away the mailing cover with your address as it serves the purpose of address proof
- If you are changing the address in US,you need to fill an AR-11 form .
Things to Remember
- Go in groups , doNT go alone at mid night.
- Take your passport and I94 with you
- Get SSN number but never carry the card with you
- Carry a prepaid cell phone
- Avoid brawls and sharp replies
- Show courtesy
- Report to the police before you take any action
- Buy HEALTH INSURANCE.