Top 10 tips before joining Desi consultancy
Its not easy to find a fulltime job while on H1b in this competitive market wherein greencard and US citizens are easily available for full time jobs and most of the students and employees end up with desi consultants doing contract jobs.
Before joining a desi consultancy, you should ensure you have asked all the below questions and done some good research on the companyAnd also be aware of current laws and how you can shift to full time jobs when you find one while working with desi consultancy
- Check the reviews online, not always reliable but can give you some vital info on the company and also reviews from other employees.
- visit the site myvisajobs, which will provide you how big the consultancy is ,how many employees and all other details
- visit the DOLwebsite for info on lawsuits against the company, Department of Labor updates such information frequently.
- Ask your desi consultancy if they pay bench salary while on H1-b, by law you have to get paid on H1-b even on bench period,else you will be considered out of status .
- Ensure you tell the desi consultancy to take care of the H1-b and green card application and processing fees, by law the employer has to pay or else you will be doing unlawful act for paying for your H1b petation and could lead you in trouble
- The starting salary should be negotiated and confirmed on papers with proper signatures.never believe the word of mouth.
7.never sign any agreement. Only sign the offer letter.I f any agreements are mentioned try to negotiate the same. And also in case you find a Full time H1b Job just quit the Desi consultancy . You are not a bonded labor you only need to provide a reasonable notice period which is usually 2 weeks, if a Desi consultancy make you bond saying 2-3 years and tries to threaten you of taking actions if you quit them , don’t get afraid they cant do any unlawful act they will be audited and prosecuted.
Inform/else file a case against the the exploiting Desi company to the local DOL office. You will never be in trouble for doing the same.
- Some of the Desi companies close down and open new companies under the same management, so be careful. And if you find fishy try to avoid and incase you have paid money or lost money from these fake companies report to DOL .
- While on project keep copies of all your timesheets handy since some of the desi consultancy dont pay on time and you can use these timesheets as evidence to file a case against them through yourlocal DOL office.
- Ensure you have all your paper work, like payslips, I140 papers, and any other H1B papers. Desi companies should not hold on to them by not giving it to you. Those are your papers and you have the right to them.
If they indulge in such act ensure you notify the DOL.
We are not lawyers, please contact a lawyer for legal opinion